Storytelling is… #3 The Bio
Storytelling is… #3 The Bio
Storyteller – Poet – Writer – Presenter
I work widely to commission for performance and for display and publication.
I act as team leader and contributor for community based projects.
I am personal Skald to the chieftain of Viking Valley, Gudvangen, Norway.
I have written extensively from the experiences of many different groups within society: with prisoners, widely with the homeless, the elderly and those with mental health needs etc, (my background as a staff nurse in mental health continues to be an influence).
Festivals such as the Jorvik Festival and many schools have used me to draw inspiration from the thoughts and ideas of children to create displays, performances and publications. Outcomes are vital and I always seek to maximize the results in terms of displays, features and publications. I work with bands at many festivals, writing poems for each performance.
I have worked for many organizations including;
Archer Project in Sheffield
City of York Arts and Culture
City of York Library Services
City of York Parks and Gardens
Hull and District MIND
Jorvik Viking Centre
Joseph Rowntree Trust
Leeds Museum Services
Peaseholme Centre for the Homeless
SigRun Viking Art & Design
Stockton Museum Services
The Poetry Society
We Are Theatre
York Archaeological Trust
York Festival of Light
York Literature Festival
York Museum Trust
York Theatre Royal
I regularly perform at Festivals, both nationally and internationally, and at residential homes, schools, community groups, prisons and safe houses.
Past Festival performances include;
- Gudvangen, Norway
- Lygra, Norway
- Jelling Festival of Mythology, Denmark
- Beverley Music Festival
- Buxton Fringe
- Edinburgh Fringe
- Henley On Thames Festival of Music and the Arts
- Ilkley Literature Festival
- Jorvik Viking Festival
- Otley Black Sheep Festival
- Musicport World Music
- Scarborough SeaFest,
- Teesside University
- York Festival of Storytelling
Much of my work, particularly for schools, museums and the community has been commissions, where I have developed interactive mixed media projects through research upon the commissioner’s chosen theme.
- Action Towards Inclusion Team Leader and contributor empowering those with mental health needs utilizing storytelling to develop confidence and discover new directions.
- Home to York; community based project leading to an exhibition of story related art with live performances, filmmaking and digital displays.
- Centre establishment for the new Peaseholme Centre involving text with art and core philosophy development.
- Circles and shares for many years at various establishments particularly around York.
- Team Leader and performer for I’m Here project with an occupational theme around community homes resulting in a display, film and digital portfolio.
- Storytelling courses, circles and courses at Viking festivals and schools in Norway and the UK.
- Story walks created and performed for Bjorgvin Marknad near Bergen.
- Community placement at Jacobs Well, York resulting in a publication of poetry relating to Alzheimer’s for circulation around doctors surgeries.
- Collaborations with several artists and digital media artists to create text/poem/story integrated with their art including
- Gods Bless Ya! Rock Opera with Alda Raven and SigRun Viking Art & Design.
- Legendary; story and song duo with Olivia Jayne Newton.
- Slim Knows Time fifties and sixties beat poetry band.
- Co-writing / recording / narrating the Spendlow’s York series featuring Romans, Vikings, The Minster, Viking sculpture including the development of Christianity in early Britain and York Castle.
- Week day residency on the Jerry Scott show; Radio York for three years.
- Poet in residence at the Jorvik Centre for York Archaeological Trust; also many interactive projects within Coppergate Square and St Sampsons Square at their festivals.
- Blind and Partially sighted tours and placements also incorporating other areas of need
- Tourist walks for language schools and party bookings.
- Access All Areas Music Awards, Presenter, London.
- The Kirklevington Stones Project for Stockton Museum Service.
- Student placements from York University for specific one to one projects.
- Greek Myths and story development projects for St Olaves / St Peters schools.
- The Viking Banner Project for York Archaeological Trust in cooperation with Arts Action York and artist Jo Pullar.
- Many commissions for the Jorvik Viking Festival including Road to Ragnarok.
- Andvari’s Gold Nordic myth CD for Jelling Dragon international sales site.
- The Dolly and the Riverboat for York River Festival, (working closely with the Keelmen and descendants) Scenic sculpture with story and poetry.
- Watery Tales initially for the York River Festival.
- Streets Alive Concrete Poetry – interactive pavement art.
- At Adrinskald’s Table for the Winter Festival, York.
- Slavery for Arts in MIND, Hull, with school placements and a Ferens Gallery showing.
- Light of an Ancient City for the Festival of Light.
- World War II reminiscence project, We Are Theatre.
- Read All About It leading to a publication of people’s stories.
- Ales and Tales, story gathering project for City of York Council resulting in a display of two hundred plus stories.
- Yorkshire Folklore projects for Analogue.
Director for Telling Arts Community Interest Company.
A project with Telling Arts saw us creating an island in text, poetry, story, art, artefact and structures directly from the imaginations of the pupils of School in Nottingham.
Corporal Nym and Gloucester in Shakespeare’s Henry V for York Stars.
Branwell and the Brontes dramatized reading production
Oscar Wilde in a dramatized reading production
Dickensian narrator for We Are Theatre’s production of A Christmas Carol
Maskerade and Mort by Terry Pratchett for We Are Theatre
Loonie Old Witch in the Footlights Theatre’s production of Robin Hood
Cameo role as Punch in We Are Theatre’s production of Pinocchio
The king in Kingdom of Neversleep, interactive storytelling show
Saying Thank You
Your donation of $3 will encourage me to continue in my creative efforts.